Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Finding Hope



hōp/
1. a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
2. a feeling of trust.
Hope is not always easy to define.
Like I said in my first post on this blog, I had a personal blog a few years ago I named “Hope for me yet.” I actually got the idea by listening to a Dierks Bentley CD on a loop at work, and that was the title of a song on the album. The context did not pertain to me, per se, but I was searching for something almost tangible I could have hope in. I wanted a talent or a purpose. Honestly, I was tired of asking my friends for favors and not having something to offer them in return.

Me: “Hey, can you bake me some cupcakes? In return, I’ll…. Uh….. yeah, I got nothing.”

Sometimes we can be in such a dark spot in our lives it is hard to find hope. We’re struggling, barely keeping our heads above water, and we have nothing to hope in. It’s helpful to have hope in a higher power. The scriptures are full of verses pertaining to hope. One of my favorites is Hebrews 6:19 because it describes hope as an anchor – something that keeps us from going deeper into the dark abyss.
Courtesy of Kimberly Geswein

Honestly, once you’ve hoped in God, it’s hard to think past that, but sometimes our hope can be found in our abilities and talents. If we have lost our jobs in this terrible economy, we can have hope in the fact of being a hard-worker and that someone will see our potential. It can be difficult or disappointing to have hope in people, however. At some point in life, even our greatest loves can disappoint us, but hopefully we have our anchor of hope!

If you are searching for hope and need help, please give me a call (832)779-0367 or send me an e-mail els.martincounseling@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment