Monday, January 12, 2015

Facing Fears


I have a confession.
I am introverted and shy. 

I know it sounds silly to choose a career that talks to people all day long, plus when a counselor isn’t talking with clients he/she is networking. So although I’m excited to be starting my dream job, I’m anxious. 

I’ll never forget a moment in high school... My mom was gone one evening so my dad and I were in charge of dinner and I wanted to order pizza, but I was too afraid to make the phone call. He told me if you’re going to be successful in this world you have to learn to get over your fear of talking to people. I ordered pizza that night. In college, I purposefully took a job in customer service to improve getting over my fear of talking to strangers. It’s a daily struggle, but I use positive self-talk to help myself get over my fear. 

Facing fears can be anything from climbing to the highest height to making a lifestyle change. If you have a fear that is impeding how live your life, please give me a call (I will practice self-talk before I answer!) (832) 779-0367 or send me an e-mail els.martincounseling@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment